Check out these top Korean toners for oily skin that suit even the most sensitive, acne-prone skin. Most of these toners are mild enough to be used on combination skin too!
Sometimes one single K-beauty product is all you need. So if you’ve got excess oiliness, it’s time to turn to the best Korean toner for oily skin.
Korean beauty products are all the rage right now. And for good reason too! Look at how amazing Korean girls look with their radiant, glass-like skin. The secret? Traditional, natural ingredients used help give you a glow from within.
And Korean products, including toners, are great for people with sensitive skin who are tired of chemical-based products. So if you’re looking for the best toner for oily skin. Try these from the list below!
|Korean Toners For Oily Skin||Best For||Price|
|Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner||Dull,Oily skin||Hyaluronic Acid, Orange Oil, Licorice, Lavender Oil|
|Skinfood Peach Sake Toner||Skin brightening||Peach Extract, Sake, Soybean, Licorice Extract|
|Etude House Wonder Pore Toner||Tightening pores||Peppermint, Vinegar, Ginko Leaf Extract|
|COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner||Acne||AHA, BHA, Willow Extract, Allantoin, Panthenol|
|Innisfree Green Tea Balancing Toner||Sensitive, oily skin||Jeju Fresh Green Tea and Green Tea Seeds|
|BENTON Snail Bee High Content Skin Toner||Mature oily skin||Snail Mucin Filtrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tea Tree Extract, Aloe Vera|
|Secret Key Aloe Soothing Moist Toner||Inflamed oily skin||Aloe Vera Water, Metagluan, Snail Mucus Filtrate, Allantoin|
|Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner||Damaged Skin||Milk Vetch Root Extract, Carbomer, Arginine|
|Some By Mi AHA BHA Toner||Very oily skin||Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Niacinamide|
|AHC Aqualuronic Toner||Oily skin with dry patches||Hyaluronic Acid, Ceramides and French Seawater|
What is the best Korean toner for oily skin?
After looking at the Dear Klairs reviews and using it myself, I feel it is the best Korean toner for oily skin. The Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner balances the sebum production on the face, yet is moisturizing enough to keep skin from drying out. We also liked how this Korean toner has a pH-balancing formula that is suitable for sensitive skin types.
|Korean Toners For Oily Skin||Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner||The Skinfood Peach Sake Toner||Etude House Wonder Pore Toner||COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner||BENTON Snail Bee High Content Skin Toner||Secret Key Aloe Soothing Moist Toner||Innisfree Green Tea Balancing Toner||Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner||AHC Aqualuronic Toner||Some By Mi AHA BHA Toner|
|Price||Expensive||Affordable||Affordable||Slightly Expensive||Expensive||Very Affordable||Very Expensive||Expensive||Slightly Expensive||Expensive|
|Oil Control Properties||5/5||4.5/5||4/5||4/5||3/5||4/5||4/5||4.5/5||5/5||5/5|
|Gentleness on Skin||4.5/5||3/5||4.5/5||4.5/5||5/5||4.5/5||4.5/5||4/5||4/5||4/5|
|Suitable for Acne Prone Skin||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
How I tested the best Korean toner for oily skin?
After looking at several Korean toners in the market, I shortlisted 12 products based on the criteria given below. I then tested them with help from my team and rated them on a scale of 1-5. These factors are:
- Oil-Control – Obviously, a good toner for oily skin should not only remove the existing oil from face but also control sebum production so your skin doesn’t get too greasy in the future.
- Pore Cleansing – Oily skin and clogged pores go hand in hand. So I looked for products that help unclogged pores and reduce their size.
- Lightweight – Oily skin types benefit from a toner that is lightweight. basically, it should be water-based or alcohol-based and not contain heavy serums or oils that make skin greasy.
Top Korean Toner For Oily Skin 2023
How to choose the best Korean toner for oily skin?
Looking for a good toner for oily skin? Here’s what you need to look out for:
- Exfoliants: The best Korean toner for oily skin targets, not just excess oiliness but the resulting acne and blackheads as well. So, make sure any toner you buy contains gentle but effective chemical exfoliants like AHA, BHA, lactic acid, etc.
- Astringents: If you have very oily skin, we think you should go for a toner with astringents like witch hazel. But you might want to give this one a skip if your skin is very sensitive. Also, be careful that the formulation hydrates your skin as astringents are notorious for drying it out.
- No alcohol: Most toners do contain alcohol as a quick-fix to the greasiness. But the best Korean toner for oily skin is one that has a milder formula. Alcohol-based toners can be very drying on the skin.
- Harsh chemicals: A lot of K-beauty products give synthetic fragrances, parabens, and other inflammatory ingredients a skip. These can irritate oily skin, leading to acne. Parabens are also known to mess with the normal hormonal functions of the body.
- Hydration: Just because your skin is oily doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be given enough hydration. The best Korean toner for oily skin is one that balances the moisture levels on your face. So choose products with lightweight, nourishing oils like hemp seed oil, rosehip oil, etc. Or look for other hydrating agents like snail mucin and aloe vera that condition the skin without leaving it greasy.
How To Use These Korean Toners
Using Korean toners is a key step in the famous Korean skincare routine. They are designed to balance the skin’s pH levels, hydrate, and prepare the skin for subsequent skincare products. Here’s how to use Korean toners effectively:
- Double Cleansing: Before applying toner, make sure you’ve thoroughly cleansed your face using an oil-based cleanser followed by a water-based cleanser. This ensures your skin is clean and ready to absorb the toner.
- Pat Dry: Gently pat your face dry with a clean towel. Avoid rubbing your skin to prevent irritation.
- Choose the Right Toner: Korean toners come in various types, such as hydrating, exfoliating, clarifying, and soothing. Choose a toner that addresses your specific skin concerns.
- Traditional Method: Dispense a small amount of toner onto your palms or a cotton pad. Gently pat the toner onto your face and neck. You can use a cotton pad if you want to remove any remaining impurities.
- Patting Method: Instead of using a cotton pad, pour a small amount of toner into your palms. Pat the toner directly onto your face using your hands, which enhances absorption.
- Layering: In Korean skincare, layering is common. You can apply multiple layers of toner, especially if it’s a hydrating toner. Apply one layer, let it absorb for a few seconds, and then apply another layer. This helps in deep hydration.
- Avoid Rubbing: Never rub your skin with the toner, as this can cause irritation. Instead, use gentle patting motions to help the toner absorb into your skin.
- Follow with Essence and Serums: After applying toner, follow up with an essence and serums. These products are designed to deliver concentrated ingredients to your skin, and the toner helps to create a more receptive surface for them.
- Sheet Masks (Optional): If you’re using a sheet mask, this is the step to incorporate it. Sheet masks are soaked in essences and serums, providing an extra boost of hydration and nutrients to your skin.
- Moisturizer: Finish off with a moisturizer to lock in all the hydration and active ingredients. This helps in maintaining your skin’s moisture barrier.
- Sunscreen (Morning Routine): If you’re following your skincare routine in the morning, finish with a broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect your skin from UV rays.
Remember, everyone’s skin is unique, so it’s important to choose toners that suit your skin type and concerns. It’s recommended to do a patch test before incorporating new products into your routine, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to allergies. If you experience any adverse reactions, discontinue use and consult a dermatologist.
The Benefits of Using a Korean Toner For Oily Skin Types
Using a Korean toner can offer several benefits for individuals with oily skin types. Korean toners are typically formulated with a focus on hydration, balancing the skin’s pH levels, and preparing the skin for the rest of your skincare routine. Here are the specific benefits of using a Korean toner for oily skin:
- Balancing Sebum Production: Oily skin tends to produce excess sebum, leading to a shiny complexion and potential breakouts. Korean toners often contain ingredients that help regulate sebum production, which can reduce the appearance of excessive oiliness on the skin’s surface.
- Hydration Without Heavy Moisturization: Oily skin still requires hydration to maintain its health and balance. Korean toners are lightweight and watery, providing hydration without making the skin feel greasy or heavy. Proper hydration can actually help control oil production by preventing the skin from overcompensating with excess sebum.
- pH Balancing: Oily skin is often associated with an imbalanced skin pH, which can lead to various skin issues. Korean toners are formulated to help restore and maintain the skin’s optimal pH level, which can improve the overall health of the skin and reduce the risk of irritation and breakouts.
- Preparation for Other Products: Toners create a hydrated and receptive base for the rest of your skincare routine. When you have oily skin, it’s important to use lightweight products that won’t clog your pores. Korean toners ensure that your skin is adequately prepped to absorb subsequent products like serums and moisturizers, maximizing their effectiveness.
- Minimization of Pores: Some Korean toners contain ingredients like niacinamide and witch hazel that can help tighten and minimize the appearance of pores. This can result in a smoother-looking complexion.
- Soothing and Calming: Oily skin can sometimes be prone to inflammation and sensitivity. Korean toners often include soothing ingredients like green tea, centella asiatica, and aloe vera, which can help calm irritated skin and reduce redness.
- Gentle Exfoliation: Some Korean toners contain mild exfoliating agents like fruit acids (AHAs) or salicylic acid (BHA) that can help remove dead skin cells and prevent clogged pores. This can result in a smoother texture and fewer breakouts.
- Layering for Intense Hydration: The Korean skincare technique of layering multiple thin layers of toner can work particularly well for oily skin. It allows you to build up hydration gradually without overwhelming the skin.
When choosing a Korean toner for oily skin, look for terms like “balancing,” “matte,” “oil-control,” and “sebum-regulating” on the product labels. Avoid toners with high alcohol content, as they can strip the skin and lead to increased oil production. Always do a patch test before introducing a new product into your routine, and consider consulting with a dermatologist if you have specific skin concerns.
As there are just so many Korean skincare products on the market today, we thought we’ll make your job easier by rounding up the best Korean toner for oily skin.
Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
The first on my list of the best Korean toner for oily skin is a very popular name in K-beauty. In fact, it’s a cult favorite – the Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner!
Why I liked this toner so much is because it’s not just a top toner for oily skin, but it’s a great product for all skin types, even sensitive ones.
On trying I found that it had a almost viscous, serum-like texture. But don’t let that fool you. It gets absorbed into my skin in seconds.
This Klairs toner is my favorite due to its nourishing ingredient list. I have noticed that some toners for oily skin leave my skin excessively dry after using. But not this one!
The Hyaluronic acid and beta-glucan keep your skin moisturized, while lemon peel oil helps control excess sebum production.
I also loved that it has a pH-balancing formula so it’s good for inflammed skin and it prevents breakouts and acne.
The only thing I didn’t like about this toner is that it contains essential oils. And while natural fragrances like these aren’t as bad as perfumes they can still trigger very sensitive skin. But thankfully they have an unscented version of this toner as well that you can use
- pH balancing formula that is safe for sensitive skin
- Lemon peel oil helps control excess sebum production
- Controls acne breakouts as it cleanses pores deeply
- Hyaluronic acid prevents excess dryness
- Essential oils might trigger very sensitive skin
- Oil Control – 5/5
- Pore Cleansing – 4.5/5
- Lightweight Formula – 4.5/5
Skinfood Peach Sake Toner
At first glance, I was surprised by the Skinfood Peach Sake Toner. It contains Japanese wine sake, which is not something you’d expect from the best Korean toner of 2023 But hey, the Japanese sake works! So I was not complaining.
If you’re worried your pores are looking more like craters on your skin, I suggest using this toner. As it contains vitamin A and vitamin C as active ingredients, it is the best Korean toner for large pores.
I found that by the 3rd application itself my pores look almost non-existent.
Also this toner contains peach extracts are supposed to leave skin smooth and soft. But I will be honest, this toner is very drying.
If you deal with excessive oiliness then this toner is perfect. If not it can be leave skin inflamed.
And most importantly if you think your skin is combination and not oily then defintely avoid this.
But apart form this one little caveat, the toner is good for other skin issues. I like that it’s got Vitamin C as it worked well at reducing pigmentation on my skin.
I could my tan fading away with use of this product. So this one is a great brightening toner as well.
If you have sensitive skin or have dry patches, we suggest looking at something more hydrating from this list.
- Reduces pigmentation and brightens complexion as it contains vitamin C
- Japanese sake drastically reduces pore size
- Can leave skin dry
- Not for sensitive skin as it leaves skin inflamed
- Oil Control – 5/5
- Pore Cleansing – 4/5
- Lightweight Formula – 4/5
- Related: Best Korean Face Wash For Oily Skin
- Related: Best Korean Moisturizer For Oily Skin
- Related: Best Korean Sheet Mask For Oily Skin
Etude House Wonder Pore Toner
Having oily skin and large, open pores is a bad combination. The excess oils plus any bacteria or impurity trapped in the pores can lead to acne breakouts.
So I was really intrigued by the Etude House Wonder Pore Toner as it promised to take care of the pore size.
And guys, I was not disappointed! This toner is amazing if you’ve got open pores as it shows results in just a week of continous usage.
Oh this product is also the best Korean toner for oily skin as it comes with peppermint extracts that help control oil production. And the lovely, refreshing feeling they leave behind is the cherry on top of the cake in my opinion!
As this toner contains pure peppermint extracts rather than essential oils, it can be used by people with sensitive skin.
But I do suggest you stay away if you’ve got inflammatory conditions like rosacea, etc.
Its affordable price is another reason why I think this product is the best Korean toner today.
- Peppermint vinegar formula reduces pore size and unclogs pores
- Affordable (compared to Dear Klairs and Skinfood)
- Refreshing smell thanks to the peppermint extracts
- None that I could find
- Oil Control – 5/5
- Pore Cleansing – 4.5/5
- Lightweight Formula – 4.5/5
COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner
Most of the best toners for oily skin contain witch hazel extracts to control the excess sebum production.
But this ingredient might not be suitable for people with sensitive skin as it can dry out your face.
So we really appreciated the fact that this Cosrx toner comes with willow bark extracts instead of witch hazel.
So if you have easily irritated skin, this one is just right for you. Another thing that makes it the best Korean toner for oily skin is the AHA and BHA in the formula.
These are known chemical exfoliators that gently remove dead skin cells, blackheads, and acne-causing bacteria from the pores.
This toner is unscented too. So if you have a skin condition like rosacea, this is a product that you won’t regret buying.
- Unscented, so can be used on sensitive skin
- AHA removes dead skin cells
- BHA unclogs pores
- Reduces acne breakouts and blackheads
- Contains mild astringents and not witch hazel
Innisfree Green Tea Balancing Toner
These Innisfree toners from the balancing line of the brand are specially-formulated for oily skin. The formulation has a gel-like texture which is easily absorbed into the skin.
And as it doesn’t leave your face feeling sticky or greasy, it is the best Korean toner for oily skin.
This Korean toner comes packed with green tea specially-harvested from Korea’s Jeju island. It helps nourish the skin and refine the pores. The green tea also leaves your skin feeling fresh and glowing.
You can use it for sensitive skin as well. This Innisfree toner does not contain any parabens, synthetic colorants, fragrances. It’s free from animal-derived ingredients as well.
- Suits oily to combination skin
- No synthetic color or scents
- Refreshing feel
- Doesn’t help with acne breakouts
BENTON Snail Bee High Content Skin Toner
Snail mucin and bee venom are not what you find in everyday skincare products. But it is exactly these special ingredients that make this Benton toner the best Korean toner for oily skin.
The snail mucin extracts keep you hydrated and increase collagen production. This makes the toner a great anti-aging skincare product too.
And to make this product even better at turning back the clock, there’s Camilla Sinensis leaf water.
This ingredient also helps cool down the skin, making this Benton toner great for oily skin. If you’ve got sensitive skin, there’s no alcohol or fragrance to irritate it further.
- Good for aging skin
- Increases skin elasticity
- Soothes irritation and inflammation
- No synthetic fragrances or colors
Secret Key Aloe Soothing Moist Toner
We have noticed that most of the best Korean toner for oily skin contains aloe leaf extract as the chief ingredient. And with good reason too.
It helps hydrate the skin without making it greasy. So it’s just the thing for oily skin.
And as this formulation is hypoallergenic and free from parabens and mineral oils, it’s very kind to your sensitive skin as well.
The toner further comes packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients that help leave your skin soft and blemish-free.
- Antioxidant rich
- Helps control inflammation
- Hydrates skin while removing excess oil
- Hypoallergenic formula
Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner
Okay, so we know a lot of you guys get confused between essence and toner. Is using the best Korean essence the same as putting on a toner?
But you don’t have to think so much as this Pyunkang Yul product does the job of both.
It tightens your pores and controls oil production just like a toner would do, while the viscous, pH-balancing formulation leaves the skin soft and dewy like an essence.
The toner is also hypoallergenic and does not clog your pores. So we easily give it the award of the best Korean toner for oily skin. Or should we say essence? Never mind, it’s both!
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Unclogs pores
- Balances skin’s pH
- Reduces pore size
- Not for very oily skin
Some By Mi AHA BHA PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner
If you have very oily ski, the try this toner by Some By Mi. What makes this product special is the key ingredient which is tea tree extracts.
Apart from this, the exfoliating toner also contains AHA (glycolic acid) and BHA (salicylic acid) which help remove dead skin cells from your face.
They also control sebum production and help unclog your pores. And the best part? The amino acid adenosine and vitamin niacinamide help with brightening your complexion too.
We do, however, recommend a gentle toner if your skin is on the sensitive side. This cleansing toner one can get too harsh if your skin is not very oily or prone to inflammation.
- Helps clear out excess oil from pores
- Unclogs skin
- Reduces dead skin cells
- Brightens skin tone
- Harsh on some skin types
Ahc Aqualuronic Toner
The two-in-one toner offer intense, long-lasting hydration, and keeps your pores and oil production in check.
So if your skin leans more towards the combination type or if you’ve got dry patches near your lip are, this one is a great toner for you.
The essential ingredients in this product include hyaluronic acid, French seawater, and ceramides.
Together, these hydrating ingredients create refreshing toner that doesn’t feel heavy or greasy on the skin at all.
The facial toner replenishes skin moisture, and leaves dehydrated skin soft, plump, and balanced. It also has a gentle formula that suits sensitive skin.
- For oily with dry patches
- Removes excess oil without leaving skin dry
- Not for very oily skin
Etude House SoonJung pH 5.5 Relief Toner
If you have really inflamed and irritated skin, this Etude House toner is a great fit. I liked how it’s much more milder and pH balanced then the Wonder Pore toner by the same brand.
It’s main job, apart from oil-reduction, is soothing the skin.
The chief ingredient is a mix of panthenol and Madecassoside that helps maintain moisture balance and control any irritation on skin.
However, Madecassoside is a type of yeast extract. So if you have a problem with fungal acne, you should steer clear of this product. As this ingredient can make fungal acne worse.
For other types of acne, this Etude House toner works well in controlling any breakouts.
- pH-balanced formula
- Soothes irritated skin
- Good for people with redness, inflammation and other skin troubles
- Helps control cystic and hormonal acne breakouts
- Not for skin prone to fungal acne
ISNTREE Green Tea Fresh Hydrating Face Toner with Hyaluronic Acid
Another Korean toner that is great for oily skin is this product by Isntree! The chief ingredient of this toner is 80 percent Jeju green tea extracts.
These not only reduce excess sebum production but also help in soothing inflamed and irritated skin.
There is also hyaluronic acid to compensate the moisture balance in your skin cells.
The toner also contains allantoin and amino acids to repair any damage done to your skin cells.
However, I feel the toner’s formula is too strong for sensitive skin, even if it’s free of essential oils and artificial ingredients.
A lot of people with dry patches also reported redness and irritation after using this product.
So this toner is good only if you have really oily skin. It’s not for people with combination skin types.
- Removes excess oil with ease
- Lightweight formula
- Free from essential oils and artificial fragrances
- Strong formula doesn’t suit sensitive skin
FAQs – Best Korean Toner For Oily Skin
How do toners help oily skin?
Toners are, in fact, the best skin care products you can use for oily skin. Firstly, they help reduce the size of your pores. Most people with oily skin get blackheads and the appearance of acne due to the excess sebum getting trapped in the large pores.
But using the best Korean toner for large pores can shrink their size and prevent this from happening. Next, a lot of toners come with astringents like witch hazel that help reduce the production of oil on the face.
Some products can also help control acne by gently exfoliating the skin. These toners generally contain salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or other such chemical exfoliators that gently remove dead skin cells from face.
Is cucumber toner good for oily skin?
If a product contains cucumber water as the first ingredient, it is the best toner for oily skin.
Cucumber water hydrates your skin without leaving it greasy or sticky. In fact, any best Korean toner for oily skin is water-based.
These products refresh your skin and, unlike glycerine-based toners, do not feel heavy.
Oily skin can get difficult to manage. Sometimes the oil glands on your face go into overdrive, producing excess sebum.
But using the best Korean toner for oily skin is definitely a step in the right direction.
These products like the Missha toner or the best Corsx toner can reduce the size of your pores, balance the natural oils on the skin, and keep blackheads and acne at bay.
So try out these toners today and let us know how you’re liking your smooth, clear skin.
Why You Should Trust Koreatruly?
All our editors including the author of this article, Song-i do extensive research on the products reviewed and recommended in the article. We also use these products ourself to give you accurate, first hand information without any prejudice or bias. Koreatruly has also got a team of medical reviewers and skincare experts to help give accurate advice and provide research-based facts concerning a product, its formulation or ingredients.
- Best Korean toner for dry skin
- Best Korean toner for combination skin
- Best Korean essence for oily skin
- Best Korean sunscreen for oily skin
Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
The best toner for oily skin helps control excess sebum production. The Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner is suitable for sensitive skin.
Product SKU: NLSB49G2
Product Brand: Dear Klairs
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: $20.00
Price Valid Until: 2024-07-11
Product In-Stock: InStock